THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 21, 2009

Little Ostara Lemon Tarts

With spring in the air and time on my hands, I decided to cook something for Ostara. A recipe for little lemon tarts recently caught my eye so I decided to use this as a base for some Ostara themed treaties. Here's how it happened...

Firstly, I gathered the ingredients for the tart base:
* Cooking spray OR 1 tablespoon of oil
* 2 cups plain flour plus a little extra for kneading
* Pinch salt
* 125g butter - chopped
* 2 teaspoons castor sugar
* 1 teaspoon lemon rind - grated
* 1 egg yolk
* 3 tablespoons iced water

Next was the ingredients for the filling (yum!):
* 125g creamed cheese - softened
* 1/2 cup castor sugar
* 2 egg yolks
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
* Food colouring and items to decorate (optional)

To make the tart bases:

* Sift flour and salt into a bowl
* Rub in butter
* Add sugar, lemon rind, egg yolk and water
* Mix with a knife


* Knead gently on a lightly floured surface


* Cover in cling wrap and place in fridge for 10 minutes
* Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
* Grease two 12-cup patty tins (the recipe I was working off called for "shallow cup" patty tins but as I didn't have any of those I used normal ones and just pushed the bases a little higher up the sides)

Then on to the filling:
* In a separate bowl, add cream cheese, sugar and egg yolk
* Mix with electric mixer until smooth and thickened
* Add lemon juice and condensed milk
* Beat with electric mixer until well combined
* Separate into bowls and add food colouring as desired

Then back to the base:
* Roll out a portion of the base dough between two sheets of baking paper until approx. 3mm thick
* Cut the dough using a 7cm fluted round cookie-cutter


* Carefully place each round into a patty cup, pressing down gently into shape
* Lightly prick each round three times with a fork


* Bake for 10 minutes or until just starting to turn golden
* Remove from over and allow to cool slightly

Now put it all together:
* Spoon the filling into each of the cases
* Bake for 5 minutes or until set


* Allow to cook before removing from patty tins
* Decorate using skittles, smarties, piped icing, sprinkles etc to look like flowers and the bright colours of spring

12 comments:

Mother Moon said...

I simply love them... can not wait to make them.... I think my granddaughter will adore them.

Wendy said...

Thanks, MMM - they were delicious, too!

The pale observer said...

They look so bright and delicious!! Too bad I'm just not a domestic goddess!

Great blog..

Cheers
Holli in Ghana

The pale observer said...

They look so bright and delicious!! Too bad I'm just not a domestic goddess!

Great blog..

Cheers
Holli in Ghana

angela said...

These look yummo. Will have to make them for the family.

Wendy said...

Thanks for you comment, Holli. I think the only reason why there aren't more domestic goddess is simply a time thing. I do believe that anyone can make wonderful things if they can just find enough time to spend away from all of the other demands in life. Sounds easy, doesn't it - but I do know just how hard it can be!

Wendy said...

They were so worth it, Angela. Let me know how you go with them ☺

The pale observer said...

Thanks Wendy... not sure what my excuse is! I do work full time but because I live as an expat, I have a cook and house cleaner and gardener, so my free time is pretty much just that! Well you've inspired me to try something! But alas, it's Monday and I start my weekly diet today! :)

Leola - Southshoreartist said...

These look positively yummy. I was a little concerned when you said "with spring coming"(fall equinox here) but then I realized we are on opposite ends of the globe! Isn't the 'net a wonderous thing :)

Hippy Witch said...

I take it you are bring some to our Ostara ritual tonight

Wendy said...

Sorry, Diana, they're all gone already!

Bren said...

They look(ed) delicious!

Send some my way. haha